I usually spend a lot of time outside in the summer, running up and down hills and bumping Jay-Z on my iPod. When my knees are functioning (sigh!), it breaks down to an hour or two in the sun at least every other day.
While I’m consistent about applying sunscreen before leaving the house for a run, I haven’t been as mindful when it comes to protecting my hair from sun damage. That summer sun gets hot, ya’ll. It’ll fade highlights in no time, so I’ve been on the lookout for products to protect my long, highlighted hair.
I found ($18), a spray that protects against UVA and UVB radiation and prevents color fading.
ME a half an hour before going for a run, I’ll spray ColourMax onto the sun-exposed parts of my hair from roots to ends, brushing it through. It smells a little like roses.
According to PureOlogy, the spray works to prevent color fading by some kind of nano technology. Hmm… I don’t know about that, but it does help to keep my hair from getting tangled and adds a little extra shine. The company also claims the product is 100% vegan and not tested on animals (I guess nanites don’t count).
I’ve been using it on my runs for about two weeks now (since returning from Hawaii) and haven’t noticed any fading of my caramel highlights in that time. I wish I had brought it with me to the islands because, over the short time I was there, I did notice some fading.
The real test will come after I get my roots done next month. I’ll keep you updated.
More Hair Products with UV Protection
If you spend a lot of time in the sun, consider using a hair product with UV protection. In addition to bleaching the color out of your hair, UV chemically breaks down the keratin proteins in hair, drying it out and making it more likely to break.
- ($25) — a leave-in conditioner that protects hair against damage from UV rays and heat styling.
- ($9) — a drugstore hair product that prevents UV fading, provides heat styling protection and makes hair smooth and soft.
- ($10) — a hair serum that not only protects against UV rays and color fading but also smooths hair, adds shine and defrizzes. All that, and it’s 100% vegan and made from certified botanicals, too.
- ($18) — a medium hold hairspray with UV protectant.
- ($8) — a drugstore shampoo with vitamin C and UV sunscreens.
- ($20) — a UV protectant spray that boosts shine while preventing fading from sun and chlorine.
- ($29) — a moisturizing conditioner with UVA and UVB protection for color-treated hair.
- ($28) — a deep conditioner with UV filters.
Sun or no sun, there will be no running outside for yours truly today. My bum knee is feeling much better now (thanks to your well wishes and loads of ice), but it doesn’t feel strong enough to attempt a run. Looks like I’m forced to continue relaxing at home. 🙂
Last night I did a whole lotta nothing from the comfort of the couch and watched a random sample of late-night 90’s movie fair. First, I watched American Pie, which I hadn’t seen in years (since band camp), and the second was Rounders. I forgot how much I liked Rounders. You can’t really go wrong with Ed Norton, Matt Damon and John Malcovich all in the same movie.
How’s your weekend coming along? Do you have any plans for today?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,