If you were stranded in the desert…
Would you rather have a machete so that you could whack off some cactus to get some water, or would you rather have the Aqua Glosses from the Chanel Summer 2016 collection?
Would you rather experience a mirage of Ryan Gosling slowly walking shirtless toward you across the glittering hot sand, or would you rather experience a mirage of the Empreinte Du Desert eyeshadow quad from the Chanel Summer 2016 collection glittering in front of you with its four shimmery shades?
I think you know what I’d choose. 🙂
Chanel, baby girl. Chanel. ALL. THE. WAY.
By the way, drinking water from a cactus? — . Thank goodness for the internet, because if I’d actually been stranded in the desert, I just may have tried that. I mean, it always worked in my old Saturday morning cartoons…
Oh, well! Knowledge is power, yo.
Anywho, summer. Chanel. 2016. We’ve got 17 pieces (one quad, two cheek duos, two liners, a mascara, six lip glosses and five nail polishes) with lots o’ warm colors — cheerful corals (YUM), awesome oranges, burnished bronzes and browns, gilded golds and tantalizing tans, sprinkled with a handful of lush, lovely greens.
I look forward to Chanel summer all year long and go absolutely goo-goo-ga-ga (to quote my daughter, who is now an expert baby babbler) for it. Thus, I LIVE for these colors.
Gimme warm bronze, tan, gold and green any day of the week, babe. If you have a tan, these shades should look amaze-balls on ya.
But it’s not just their warmth that draws me to the pieces in this collection. The finishes are also totally on point.
I think Chanel is really good at getting all the way up to the edge with certain finishes, and then pulling back just a little.
Does that sound weird?
I think it might…but it’s the best way I can describe their brilliance.
Take the quad, for example. The four shades in it — a bronze, tan, brown and green — all have a good amount of shimmer in them, but Chanel dialed it back just a little so the finish doesn’t go full-on frosty. Even though these are powder eyeshadows, they almost look glossy on the lids.
It’s neat, and kind of a dream come true, now that I think about it! It’s not always easy to wear high-shine shadows like these because they tend to emphasize the fine lines on my lids.
Oh, and side note, the wear time on these shadows is totally boss lady. I can pop them on early in the morning, and they’re good until late at night.
Now, getting back to the interesting finishes…
The two Les Beiges Duos are also beautifully nuanced. They’re not quite matte, not quite satin; they’re somewhere in between. I only need the faintest kitten kiss for lots of rich cheek color.
I wear the two duos a little differently. When I want warm peachy bronze cheeks (which go well with bronzy gold eyes like I’m wearing in these pics), I mix the two shades in Les Beiges Duo No. 02 together to wear as a blush, but you can also wear the two shades separately, and use one as a blush and one as a bronzer.
And when I’m in the mood for brighter coral reddish cheeks, I’ll grab Duo No. 01 and lightly buff the coral onto the apples of my cheeks before highlighting with the light peach shade. Sometimes I’ll blend the two shades together first, though, when I’m in a hurry.
Like the quad, both Les Beiges Duos last a good, long while. They’ll go for 8-9 hours on my combo dry/oily cheeks.
Oh, and if you’re a Chanel lipgloss gal, don’t skip the glosses. Every time I wear them I get this overwhelming sense of deja vu, because they feel exactly like the old-school (discontinued) Aqualumieres.
Thinking of the Aqualumieres brings a glittery tear to my eye, because they were *that* good…
Remember Candy Glow?? Ugh, SO GOOD.
Anyway, the Summer 2016 Aqua Glossimers have a similar non-sticky, smooth texture, and they feel fantastic on mah dry lips. Wear time clocks in at a few hours.
As for the other items I’ve worn from the collection, some thoughts…
- Le Volume de Chanel Waterproof in 27 Mirage — I’m not really into brown mascara, because I feel like, eh, what’s the point? But this one has Le Volume’s trademark thickness and length, which I like, and the waterproof formula does a decent job of holding dat lash curl. So that’s cool!
- Stylo Yeux Waterproof in Sable — Ooh, metallic coppery shimmery hotness… This should look amazing on blue eyes!
- Le Vernis in Espadrilles — This creamy, orangey coral reminds me of a nail polish version of MAC Lady Danger Lipstick. FYI, it’s very pretty on toes.
- Le Vernis in Cavaliere — I rarely wear brown nail polishes, but next time I do, I think I’ll wear this shade. It has Chanel’s signature secret shimmer.
- Le Vernis in Canotier — What an interesting gold! It almost looks like it has a hint of platinum in it…
The entire Chanel Summer 2016 Dans La Lumiere De L’Ete collection includes…
- Les 4 Ombres in Empreinte Du Desert
- Stylo Yeux Waterproof in 817 Oasis
- Stylo Yeux Waterproof in 827 Sable
- Le Volume de Chanel Waterproof in 27 Mirage
- Les Beiges in Duo No. 01
- Les Beiges in Duo No. 02
- Levres Scintillantes Aqua Gloss in 610 Sahara
- Levres Scintillantes Aqua Gloss in 612 Adenium
- Levres Scintillantes Aqua Gloss in 604 Sirocco
- Levres Scintillantes Aqua Gloss in 602 Tanami
- Levres Scintillantes Aqua Gloss in 606 Rouge Desert
- Levres Scintillantes Aqua Gloss in 608 Dzhari
- Le Vernis Longwear Nail Colour in 524 Turban
- Le Vernis Longwear Nail Colour in 526 Cavaliere
- Le Vernis Longwear Nail Colour in 532 Canotier
- Le Vernis Longwear Nail Colour in 534 Espadrilles
- Le Vernis Longwear Nail Colour in 536 Emeraude
The Chanel Summer 2016 collection should be arriving on . When I have the exact launch date and a full list of prices, I’ll update this post.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,