I have to say, for a long, long time I didn’t think much of ($33), and I sailed past it many times without giving it as much as a sneaky side-eye glance.
Then, one day, the planets and stars were aligned just right, and I decided to see what swatches of its two shadows would look like on my skin.
Over the moon! — that’s how I felt when the first shade, a shimmery yellow gold, and the second, a shimmery golden bronze, blossomed before me, like a nebula under the watchful eye of the Hubble Space Telescope…
Sorry, I’m a sucker for a good (or middling) space reference. 🙂
If you happen to like neutrals with an interstellar kick, give Star Sailor a try, especially if you’re looking to upgrade from basic browns and beige. The shimmery yellow gold shade on the left side of the duo reminds me of a slightly warmer MAC Gorgeous Gold; the shimmery bronze on the right, with its golden undertones, brings to mind another one of my favorite shades, MAC Powersurge Eye Kohl eyeliner, except in eyeshadow form.
Worn together or apart, I like how much attention both shadows draw. They’re noticeable, but stop well short of shouting, “HEY! CHECK OUT MY EYES!”
Buttery smooth and packed with pigment, these shadows represent NARS at his flexible best. For a mellow, work-appropriate look, I’ll sweep the golden shadow from my lash line to brow bone, and then pat the bronze shade on my lash lines and/or atop the outer third of my lids; for a sultrier, smokey look, I’ll apply the bronze from my lash lines up into the crease, and then wrap it along the lower lash lines.
Sometimes, when I’m feeling extra ambitious, I’ll even try to incorporate a shimmery olive shadow like MAC Sumptuous Olive into the mix.
For an updated twist on the classic red lip/neutral eye combination, I like to pair Star Sailor with a warm red lipstick like NARS Heat Wave or Red Square, and top it with a golden lip gloss like NARS Albatross. Then, I’ll add a peachy beige blush like NARS Madly.
By then I usually feel ready to conquer the world! — or at least my nearby Target or Trader Joe’s. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The NARS Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from the NARS permanent collection
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Star Sailor Duo Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Heat Wave Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Afghan Red Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Mata Hari Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Luster Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Lovejoy Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Amour Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Gothika Lipgloss
- Red Square Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Damned Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Taos Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Night Star Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Madly Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Dolce Vita Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Greek Holiday Lipgloss
- NARS Unsung Heroes: The Kalahari Eyeshadow Duo