Are any of you gals going to the beach this weekend? I wish it were warmer here right now because I sure could use a beachy break.
The bay out here is always pins-and-needles cold — not exactly bikini friendly — even when it’s hot outside, and most swimmers will wear a wet suit in the water.
I would, too, if they didn’t make me look and feel like a sausage, bluh!
Even when it’s too cold for the beach, I still like to dress the part, which is why I’ve been all about sundresses, flip flops, sunglasses and hair with beachy waves for the past few weeks.
There are different ways to do ’em, but here’s an approach that I use.
How I do my beachy waves
- For me it all starts the night before. I get better results in the morning when I’ve washed and conditioned my hair before bed. Lately, I’ve been using and loving .
- After my shower, I wrap my hair with a highly-absorbent microfiber towel like the Aquis ($18; hello, awesomeness) for 15-20 minutes. Then, I remove the Aquis, which has sucked out most of the excess water, and air dry until bed.
- Right before bed I apply and comb through a leave-in conditioner like , concentrating on the mid-shaft to the ends.
- With my hair conditioned, I put it in a loose French braid; the thicker the pieces in the braid, the bigger the waves the next morning. I secure the end of the braid with a ponytail elastic band (I like these summery, bright bands from ), and then I hit the haaaaay.
- The next morning, I remove the braid and gently run my fingers through the waves, misting with . I think it gives the waves some extra spring.
- For extra definition and hold, I spray on a light hold styling product like Redken Layer Lift ($15) on the upper and middle layers; when I want a softer, slightly messier look, I’ll use instead.
- To finish, I scrunch the ends and let the products dry. 🙂
You can also substitute any of the above products with the following drugstore goodies…
- Shampoo and conditioner: Suave Professionals Vibrant Shine Shampoo and Conditioner ($3.50 each, $7 together)
- Leave-in conditioner: Aveeno Nourish+ Condition Leave-In Treatment ($7)
- Ponytail elastics:
- Curl re-activating mist: or
- Hair styling product: or
Do you do beachy waves? What products/techniques do you use to get the look?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,