Let’s break it down, babe.
- What is it? Well, I’m glad you asked! 🙂 It’s a new line of $36 medium-buildable pressed powder .
- It has a split pan with two shades, one warmer than the other, so you can customize your color.
—-> I love this idea and wish more brands would do this! Heck, I’m always mixing shades anyway.
- MAC says it’s for all skin types, but it’s supposed to be ESPECIALLY good for normal and dry skin…or so they say (more on this in a few).
- The plastic compact feels sturdy and substantial (yay!). It also comes with two applicators — a sponge and a face brush.
- It’s available in 11 shades (Dark Deepest, Dark Deep, Dark, Medium Deep, Medium Dark, Medium Golden, Medium Plus, Medium, Light Plus, Light, Extra Light).
I wear Medium Golden, which is a good match for my NC42 skin.
- I think ladies and gents who want 1) oil control, 2) pretty good coverage (one or two layers easily hides hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone) and 3) a matte finish should give it a try.
- At least for me, this powder is a little tricky because when I layer it on top of foundations and concealers, my skin looks dry (it’s REALLY noticeable around the fine lines on my forehead), and my makeup looks heavy (you can see it in action here and here).
Between the opaque coverage (even though it’s described as medium), the matte finish and my *ahem* age, this isn’t the most forgiving powder in the world. I mean, it’s not like I can see the powder grains or anything. In fact, the powder itself is very finely milled, but when it’s applied on top of other face products, it’s just more…Insta-glam fabulous than I’m used to these days. I don’t even venture up to medium coverage that often anymore.
But if I just wear this on its own without concealer or foundation, or with, like, a primer or an illuminating lotion (like BECCA Backlight or MAC Strobe Cream), and I douse my skin with MAC Fix+ afterward, then I like it… It looks natural and gets the job done.
Even by itself, though, it isn’t going to replace my number one MAC powder love, MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural.
- It reminds me of Chanel’s loose powder, and if you want moderately opaque coverage in a line with a good shade selection, and you have oily or normal skin, I think it’s definitely worth a try.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,