Generally I think of rigorous makeup rules and structure as hogwash, hooey and blarney, otherwise known as crazy talk.
Can’t say I’ve ever really believed in hard-and-fast rules for le war paint, but I do have a mantra — a guiding principle, if you will — and this is it: WHY THE HELL NOT!?
Want to rock a blown-out Khal Drogo smokey eye to a formal Sunday brunch?
Why the hell not!?
Want to wear a bright green gloss and gold glitter on your lids to walk your cat around the block?
Why the hell not!?
My point is this: life is short. You might as well wear what moves you.
Today I was in the mood to sparkle because, you know, it’s Tuesday, and that’s as good a reason as any. 🙂 So I did this glittery, brassy, kind of smokey greenish khaki eye.
I like that it has tricks up its sleeve. One minute, when my eyes are wide open, I think it looks almost tame, just a warm brassy golden eye, but then when I blink, BAM! — that’s when the glitter does its thang.
I think the loose glitter I’m using here, MAC 3D Glitter, is really cool. The hexagonal multicolored glitter bits may look kind of mellow in these pics, but all about the drama in person.
To get the glitter to stay/stick to my lids, I applied a little of Anastasia’s Beauty Genius Clear Waterproofing Gel as a base first, upon which I patted the glitter with a flat brush.
Oh, and here’s a tip: if you use a base for loose glitter like this one from Anastasia, try to keep your eye closed until the base fully dries. Less of the glitter will settle into any fine lines you might have, and you should see less creasing.
Here’s a breakdown of the look…
- Clinique On Safari All ME Shadow Quad: lids, lower lash lines and inner corners of my eyes
- MAC 3D Glitter in 3D Brass Gold: center of the lids
- Anastasia Beauty Genius Clear Waterproofing Gel: as a base for the glitter
- MAC Smolder Eye Kohl: water lines
- Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara:lashes
- MAC Fluidline Gelcreme in Deep Dark Brunette: brows
- Hourglass Illume Duo in Sunset: apples of my cheeks
- Hourglass Ambient Powder in Mood Lighting: upper cheekbones
- BECCA Opal Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed: down the bridge of my nose and Cupid’s bow to highlight the skin
- Hourglass Panoramic Long Wear Lip Liner in Eden and Extreme Sheen Gloss in Origami: lips
Anyone else go with glitter today? 😀
Even if you aren’t rockin’ the sparkly stuff, tell me about your makeup. What did you decide to wear today?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,