We have just traveled through time, you and I. Notice the placement of the logo on my MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush ($29). Yes, that brush is 10 years old.
New brushes on top; old school 224 on the bottom
Even though I’ve had it for a decade, I’ve only recently become super duper obsessed with this soft, medium-sized, dome-shaped eyeshadow brush.
I remember originally buying it to apply eyeshadow in the crease, which is how I know it’s used by many MACaholics, but for a long time I felt that it tended to lay down too much color. It had been in my halfhearted, semi-regular rotation for about a year before it found its way to the Island of Lost Tools.
So there it lived, on the Island of Lost Tools, lonely and neglected for years while I moved on to the fantabulous MAC 217. On occasion, I’d visit and call it out to help me with some blending, but for the most part, there it stayed.
Then, one day not very long ago (just a few weeks), I tried it with MAC Prolongwear Concealer.
Hello, awesome! 🙂
I had been using a foundation brush to apply my concealer for years using the “triangle” method, a a trick I learned from a Chanel makeup artist a while back. While it worked great with creamy concealers like Time Balm, it never quite worked as well as I’d hoped with Pro Longwear’s ultra-pigmented, liquid texture. It provided good coverage, but sometimes I thought the finished product looked heavy and almost mask-like.
So, one day a few weeks ago, I was in a hurry to get ready, and my foundation brush just happened to be dirty. I randomly grabbed the 224 instead, used it to apply Prolongwear, and was really impressed with the results.
The 224 Prolongwear gives my under-eye area the business. It’s as close to flawless as this girl gets. The fluffy, domed brush head distributes the product evenly and smoothly without any streaks.
Now I use the 224 all the time to apply concealer under my eyes. I never really missed it or wanted to buy a back-up when it lived on the Island of Lost Tools, but now it’s back with me.
If you’re a fan of MAC Prolongwear Concealer, or just prefer liquid concealers in general, consider adding (or digging out) this Unsung Hero to your bag of makeup tricks. 🙂
The MAC Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from MAC’s permanent collection
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Bombshell Lipstick
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Sunbasque Sheertone Shimmer Blush
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Clear Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Humid Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Naked Lunch Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Russian Red Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Syrup Lipstick
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Blushbaby Blush
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Vex Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Strobe Cream
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Blot Powder/Pressed
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Subculture Lip Pencil
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Soft Brown Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Woodwinked Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Powersurge Eye Kohl
- MAC Unsung Heroes: All That Glitters Eyeshadow Is Not Just Another Gold
- MAC Unsung Heroes: The Technakohl Liners
- MAC Unsung Hero: Groundwork Paint Pot
- MAC Unsung Hero: Nymphette Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Viva Glam V
- MAC Unsung Hero: Blacktrack Fluidline
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Lychee Luxe Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Hero: Gorgeous Gold Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Patina Eyeshadow
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,