7 Things You Should Know ME the $54 Nicky Hilton + Smashbox Cosmetics NY Classic Cat Eye Kit
- You don’t have to be a cat lady to appreciate it (although you may appreciate it more if you like the look of classic black cat eyeliner)
- Wearing all of your cat lady accoutrements (your shirts, jewelry, cat ears, etc.) with the kit’s eyeshadow, liner and mascara qualifies as a strong “do”
- When you open the bag that comes with the kit, you may catch a whiff of something that smells like fish-flavored cat treats (I do with mine, which is weird!).
I, myself, am unsure if this is a good thing, but Tabs seems perfectly OK with it.
- Cat eyes aren’t the only thing you can do with the kit’s eyeshadow trio, gel pen liner and mascara (although they are the obvious choice, right?). You could also use ’em for smokey eyes.
- Be prepared. Due to this kit, your cat may experience severe jealousy when he sees you rocking thick, fatty-bo-batty cat eye liner, meow!
- While wearing these pieces, you may find yourself spontaneously purring.
- While carrying this kit, you may also start carrying cat treats in your purse. (Oh, wait. I already do that.)
Other things you should know about the Nicky Hilton + Smashbox NY Classic Cat Eye Kit
- It’s limited edition, $54, It’s also one of three Smashbox Cat Eye Kits () containing pieces hand-picked from the permanent line by Nicky Hilton.
- The four-piece kit comes with a cat-shaped makeup bag, a full-size Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio in Litho (with matte peachy beige Wheat Eyeshadow, matte reddish brown Hazelnut Eyeshadow and matte black Jet Black Eyeshadow), a full-size Photo Angle Pure Pigment Gel Liner in Jet Black, and a full-size Full Exposure Mascara.
- The eyeshadow trio is meow-worthy! Not all matte eyeshadows are this easy to blend, and I think they also look lovely in pics. This is by far my favorite thing in the kit.
- I’m not the biggest fan of the liner… One the one hand, I like how intensely black it is, but the flexible plastic nib tickles my skin when I run it along my lash lines. It’s also difficult to create crisp edges with it.
- As for the mascara, I think it separates and lengthens well, but it’s just average in terms of volume. My BFF Jen, who likes a more natural lash look, loves this mascara. For me, it’ll do in a pinch, but I prefer mascara with much mo’ drama-for-your-mama.
“Gimme drag queen lashes!” she yelled out her office window.
- As a bonafide CCL, I love the cat lady angle. 🙂 I’m all about the eyeshadow trio and the adorable bag, too, which I hope smells less fishy after a while (what’s up with that!?), but I think the liner and mascara are skippable.
I think the kit could be a solid investment if you already know and love these products (they are re-promotes from the permanent line), because you do get full-size items, and you do save a little money over the cost of purchasing them separately. That said, for me, it’s probably best for Smashbox diehards. The mascara and liner don’t rock my world.
I do have to thank this kit for introducing me to the , which is all kinds of excellent! It’s also available in the permanent line by itself, so check that ish out next time you’re near a Smashbox counter.
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B-
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,