Heads turn so fast when MAC Russian Red Lipstick ($14.50) enters a room that some of them get whiplash.
The blue-based red, long a favorite of MAC fans (like moi!), lives in the permanent line, but she also guest stars from time to time in limited edition releases like the MAC Wonder Woman Collection as a repromote shade.
I’ve loved the color for years, but I didn’t always know she had a sister, super shiny, highly pigmented MAC Russian Red Lipglass ($14.50).
If any product deserves a share of the MAC Unsung Heroes spotlight, it’s Russian Red Lipglass — one of my go-to colors to pair with cat eyes.
Just how red is it? Well, do you remember how red your cheeks got that time in gym class with the sit-ups (PROOOT!)? Yup, it’s even redder than that. 🙂
Being so pigmented and movable, she can be a little high maintenance, though, like many gorgeous girls, but that’s what patience is for. To keep it from migrating outside of my natural lip line, I always line my lips first with something like MAC Red Enriched ($14.50), nude MAC Subculture ($13) or a clear lip liner like L’Oreal Automatic Liner in Clear ($6).
When I’m out and about with Russian Red Lipglass, I bring my compact with me and check it often to make sure the product hasn’t danced onto my cheeks or chin, a lesson I learned the hard way…
Once, walking to the bus stop on a windy day, some of my hair got stuck in my gloss, so I pulled the strands away and tucked them haphazardly behind my ear. A little later on the bus, I could’ve sworn a cute guy across from me was giving me “the eye” (this was pre-El Hub), but, being a totally shy freakazoid when it comes to hotties, I buried my nose in the book I was reading and avoided eye for the rest of the 45-minute ride.
It wasn’t until I got to work that I realized why homeboy was checking me out… I had red streaks of gloss on my cheek. 🙂
Random but semi-related story
One day a few years ago, El Hub and I were visiting our family in Hawaii when we decided to go to the beach. Since I didn’t feel like wearing my s that afternoon, I left my glasses at home and figured I’d just accept being semi-blind.
We were sitting on the beach when El Hub turned to me and said, “Do you want to go for a swim?”
“No,” I said, “not yet. But you go. I’ll be right here.” So off he went into the water.
After a few minutes sitting there in the sun, I also felt like cooling off, so down to the beach I went. As I was playing in the shallows, a boy swam up to me. I didn’t have my s on, but I could tell he was cute. “Hi,” he said, to which I replied by immediately diving into the water and swimming in the opposite direction.
When I got of the water and made my way back to our spot on the beach, El Hub was there waiting for me on our towel. “How was your swim?” he asked.
“Great,” I answered. “The water’s warm.”
He nodded, paused, and then almost sadly asked, “Why did you swim away from me so fast when I said hi?”
LOL! Yeah, I’m a dork… 🙂
Even though Russian Red takes some tender loving care, I love her to pieces. I’ve seen the color on a range of skin tones, and I think she always looks great. She’s the reddest, shiniest, most heart-stopping gloss I know.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The MAC Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from MAC’s permanent collection
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Syrup Lipstick
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Blushbaby Blush
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Vex Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Strobe Cream
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Blot Powder/Pressed
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Subculture Lip Pencil
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Soft Brown Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Woodwinked Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Powersurge Eye Kohl
- MAC Unsung Heroes: All That Glitters Eyeshadow Is Not Just Another Gold
- MAC Unsung Heroes: The Technakohl Liners
- MAC Unsung Hero: Groundwork Paint Pot
- MAC Unsung Hero: Nymphette Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Viva Glam V
- MAC Unsung Hero: Blacktrack Fluidline
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Lychee Luxe Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Hero: Gorgeous Gold Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Patina Eyeshadow
P.S. Remember the MAC Packed to Go Travel Exclusives from a while back? Well, they’re finally available on the MAC website. If you need a quick refresher on the release, check out the following posts for reviews and swatches. 🙂
- Ready, Set, Jet! The MAC Packed To Go Travel Exclusives for Spring 2011
- According to the Girl Next Door, MAC Put This Look in a Box
- MAC Packed to Go 6 Cool Smoky Eye Shadows and My Mid-Day Wednesday Toast
- The 3 Assorted Black Eye Liners Boxed Set from MAC Packed to Go
- MAC Room for the Cute Bag That Comes with the MAC Shape & Perfect Brushes
- A Travel Exclusive: MAC Packed These 3 Cremesheens To Go