Sometimes it’s GOOD to be bad, or wrong in this case. 🙂
I’d first thought the recently released limited edition were only available through the NARS website, but it turns out Nordstrom has them as well ().
I got a look at the collection yesterday at the NARS event I attended in the city (more on that in a few).
One of the shades that I’d really wanted to see in person was Tallulah, the deep purple.
It sure looks different up close and personal than it did in the promotional pics…
Cha cha cha
A few quick notes on the shades…
- Zizi: I’m not a major glitter gal, but I like how the blue, green, gold and purple glitter in this sheer peach apply without looking too blinged out. I’d totally wear Zizi, either by itself or layered on top of something else.
- Cha Cha Cha: This shimmery, golden orange looks intriguing in the bottle but not so much on my nails. It applies thick and streaky, with lots of bubbles.
- Hunger: On the Nordstrom site, Hunger looks like a deep red, but in person it’s more like a creamy orange/reddish coral. It applies with consistent rich, non-streaky color, though, and of these shades it’s my favorite!
- Blue Lagoon: A shimmery cool blue, this polish was a little too sheer for my taste, but if you like sheer colors, it could be a real winner.
- Tallulah: I couldn’t wait to see Tallulah in person. It looked like a creamy purple in the promotional pictures, but on my nails it looked more like a creamy wine, and the streaks — THE STREAKS! Way more than I expected.
After the nail polishes, I took a closer look at the limited edition NARS Loves San Francisco Makeup Set ($75).
If these four eye, cheek and nail shades aren’t like others in your collection now, it’s a pretty great deal for the price.
One huge reason why I was so excited about the NARS event was that I’d heard that Francois Nars HIMSELF was going to be there.
With a copy of his fantastic book, ($26.37), under my arm, I’d hoped to meet the man behind the makeup.
Francois NARS at Nordstrom
It was his first appearance in 10 years at an event like this one, and he was on hand to sign copies of his book and to chat with fans.
The book is spiral bound and hardcover, which makes it easy to stand upright or to lie flat for use as a reference while applying makeup.
I’m a visual learner, and it’s one of the best how-to makeup books I’ve ever seen. Beyond the tips, it’s packed with detailed overlay face charts and before/after photographs of each respective look.
I felt like such a goof ball when it was my turn in line. I got a little star struck (it was Francois Nars, for crying out loud!). That’s about when the verbal diarrhea struck, oops!
I vaguely recall telling him about Tabs, thanking him for the genius that is and quoting Wind Beneath My Wings (oh, gawd!).
After pulling myself together, I asked him which of his Multiples he likes best. Turns out homeboy loves St. Barts (a shimmery taupe) and Copacabana (a shimmery pearl); NARS makes a .
Added to wish list: CHECK! 🙂
Tips and Tricks from NARS National Trainer Janice Daoud
With Janice Daoud
The NARS makeup team was also on hand to give makeovers and to answer questions.
I spoke with Janice Daoud, NARS national trainer and stylist (and occasionally Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist), who offered a few tips…
- Highlighters like the Golden Gate Bridge cheek color in the NARS Loves San Francsico Set can be used in multiple ways. For radiant, glowy skin, apply it with a fluffy brush at the temples and down the bridge of the nose. Or, for a shimmery eye look, press and pack the highlighter on the eyelids with an eyeshadow brush.
- For some colors similar to the ones in the NARS Loves San Francisco set, try en lieu of the Golden Gate Bridge cheek color; Angel Island eyeshadow, the purple shade from the SF collection, resembles .
- If you’re a Kim Kardashian fan like I am, then consider picking up the Hula Hula eyeshadow duo ($32), with its shimmery pink and shimmery gold eyeshadows. Janice recently used it on Kim, who said she loved it.
I ran into a few MBB readers and fellow makeup junkies at the event — Alexzandra, Irene and Jeanne (from . Thanks for saying hi, gals!
Take me out to the ball game
After the event, El Hub and I zipped over to Oakland to catch an A’s game. It was my first baseball game in YEARS.
I should come clean, though — the main reason I wanted to go was to see Jordin Sparks, (the pop singer and American Idol winner), who held a concert after the game. Damn, that girl sure can sing… She did most of her hits (Tattoo, No Air, and a bangin’ cover of Michael Jackson’s Pretty Young Thing (PYT)).
I can’t believe the weekend’s almost over… What are you doing tonight? I’m sitting on the couch, watching Love & Basketball for the thousandth time.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,